You just can't keep a sign like this from entertaining me. Of course the true meaning is lost in translation when I relate to what I know of warning signs in the States, and I'm quite sure I know what the intention of this particular sign is; but that said, I have a mind to make things as I want, and this sign shall become fodder for my thoughts as we roll down the rails eastbound from Krakow.
A bottle angled at 2 o'clock in the foreground and an open window in the background and all this encircled by a thick red line. "You are encouraged to dispose of all empty bottles by way of an open window." That one is easy enough. As if inebriated Poles on their way to a Football match needed anymore encouragement, here it was, and circled in red too so no passing eye should be deceived!
To the right of this image was another small sign. This one also featured an open window and had a stick figure resting his elbow on the pane and gazing out. This too was encircled in bold red. I took the image's location to mean that, like the majority of written "western" communication, it should be interpreted following the information to its left. Therefore, it seems necessary that "Following the expulsion of trash from an open window, one is encouraged to observe thoughtfully their recent actions." Once again, there can be no doubt as to this message for it has been emboldened by the red circle around it.
Now, from what I know about warning signs in the U.S., it is customary to not only circle a particular action in red, but to extend a cross member through this action if you wish to have it avoided. This cross piece is what makes it evident that the message being conveyed by the image is undesirable and perhaps illegal. It loudly states "Attention! You can not do this!"
If we were to remove that cross piece, well, we'd have cars entering into oncoming traffic and children grabbing high-powered electrical wires by the dozens! Not only is this bad for the mortality rate, it opens the door for general disorder. There must be a clear message so people can save themselves from themselves. The cross member is that life preserver. So is it therefore conceiveable that a large mistake has been made aboard this Polish train? Are lives in danger?
The answer is no. As long as you follow clearly highlighted instructions. I am certain that if, at some point, it is determined unsafe for people to whip beer bottles out windows and watch the effects, there will be a thick line cutting through the heart of these images. And that line will be red.
Author's Note:
Red, as well as black, are typical signs of danger in many societies. This as well must be taken into consideration, but after contemplation, I can find no direct reason for why if you weren't to follow these strict instructions as displayed aboard Polish rail transportation, you should come to harm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Woody - different style here. The whole thing is humorous, funny. It's interesting to notice those little things throughout different cultures. I would maybe turn this into more of a story (dialogue with a Pole, perhaps) or into a structured essay. It's a bit in limbo, which is fine. Maybe a little weird for me to make something of it. The idea is excellent and can easily be used in another story as a telling moment of being in another culture. I could see us hanging out and you going off about this for a few minutes. Familiar, I suppose.
ReplyDeleteRighteous - I agree with you that I could make it part of a larger story and wanted to do so but I think I was just lazy and wanted to put something new up. I like to get pictures in for this kind of writing because then it becomes more like a caption and has a definite direction.
ReplyDelete